Back to Old John    Bradgate Park & Old John
       

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Click the pictures for more information.

 

The Windmill

 

 

The Bonfire

 

 

The Stable

 

 

 

  Bradgate's Racecourse  
 

The Grey family are known to have been racing horses by 1780. The 7th Earl of Stamford was a keen horseman and had a racecourse laid out around the base of the Hill. Old John Tower was used as a grandstand and lunch venue.

The 1.5 mile long course had huge stones erected alongside to act as furlong markers, some of which survive today.

In 1850 the stable block was erected at the side of the Tower.

  These pictures are published by kind permission of The Bradgate Park Trust and are subject to Copyright.
For more information on Bradgate Park and Old John go to www.bradgatepark.org